Saturday 27 June 2015

What was Labours ambition in Bath

These are my own thoughts after a few weeks reflection.

Labour could expect to be rightly buoyant going into the General election and could expect to make some progress in the City.

We were aware that they were working hard in several wards that in the end did not come their way although increasing their vote across the City.

The surprise came in my own ward of Twerton where a young Labour candidate finished second although still being a long way behind my own personal vote deposing a long standing councillor. I in fact increased my own vote quite significantly and even put my majority up, but the hard work of this young Labour candidate saw him elected in second place only time will see if he will put the work in that is needed in this area?

I blame myself somewhat for not seeing the signs that votes were leaking away from my former ward colleague and am reflecting on what we could have done differently.

At a General election Labour has normally faired quite badly in Bath just holding their deposit on many occasions, but this time they put their vote up quite significantly by reducing the Liberal Democrat Vote in the parties heartlands. 

It is ironic that the rise in the Labour and Green vote in Bath was nearly all from the Liberal Democrats and the Conservative vote hardly moved.

If you were cynical you could say that by people voting Labour at the General Election succeeded in electing a conservative MP for Bath.

Is this something that Labour wanted only they can answer that but that is what they succeeded in doing.

From listening to residents over the weeks since the election many have said what have we done.

I suspect that the Labour vote at this election may be a high point for them in Bath but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment